Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Muy Interesante!

Today my laptop was badly injured in a dangerous collision, so I decided to focus on note taking while it is being repaired. When I started researching a foundation question, I found this brilliant site http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_marijuana_illegal that completely answered my question in full detail and gave me a lead on some of my other questions. I'm pretty excited about some of the info I found.I also found these interesting facts from the site http://rodolphepilaert63.wordpress.com/2008/06/02/the-hearst-company-dupont-cannabis-conspiration/ about hemp (fiber made from stems of cannabis sativa:

  • In 1916, the U.S. Government predicted that by the 1940s all paper would come from hemp and that no more trees need to be cut down. Government studies report that 1 acre of hemp equals 4.1 acres of trees. Plans were in the works to implement such programs; Department of Agriculture
  • Oldest known records of hemp farming go back 5000 years in China, although hemp industrialization probably goes back to ancient Egypt
  • The first Bibles, maps, charts, Betsy Ross’s flag, the first drafts of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were made from hemp; U.S. Government Archives
  • 80% of all textiles, fabrics, clothes, linen, drapes, bed sheets, etc. were made from hemp until the 1820s with the introduction of the cotton gin
  • For thousands of years, 90% of all ships’ sails and rope were made from hemp. The word ‘canvas’ is Dutch for cannabis
  • “I grew Hemp”, George Washington
  • REFUSING TO GROW HEMP in America during the 17th and 18th Centuries WAS AGAINST THE LAW! You could be jailed in Virginia for refusing to grow hemp from 1763 to 1769; Hemp in Colonial Virginia, G. M. Herdon